We’ve mentioned it a lot on this corner of the internet; health trends are on the rise at university and college campuses. Gone are the days of ‘freshman 15’, or ‘Ramen Noodle Life’. Students are becoming more and more health conscious, bringing about minority meal preferences such as vegan and gluten-free to the forefront.
As these healthy trends become more apparent on campus, university and college dining services across North American have definitely trimmed the ‘ole waist line in order to keep up. Wellness programs have been put in place, caloric information is readily available on all menus, and healthier options are being offered.
Now that all these efforts have been put in place to encourage healthy eating, what incentive can we provide to encourage ALL students to eat healthier? The answer is a Loyalty and Rewards Program—and with such program, you can drive student behaviour.
Hangry has developed a Loyalty and Rewards program for mobile dining that allows you to reward points to your students for completing certain tasks. Although this may sound similar to a game, it actually acts as the catalyst for driving student behaviour and is an essential tool for marketing.
How to Encourage Healthy Eating
Through Hangry’s Loyalty and Rewards feature, dining services is able to rewards students every time they make healthier meal choices—and the options are endless. Every time a student makes a healthy meal choice, they are rewarded points which can then be redeemed in your mobile app rewards store. Here is a list we have compiled of ways to drive healthier eating habits on campus:
- Points on Specific Items
- If you choose to add ‘mobile ordering’ as a feature on your campus branded app, you are then able to place a higher amount of points on healthy food options. Therefore, if a student orders a healthier meal through mobile ordering, they will be awarded a higher amount of points
- Checking Calories/ Total Calorie In-Take
- Award students points every time they check their calorie total on your campus branded app. Points can also be rewarded for total calorie in-take
- Giving Feedback and Taking Surveys
- Surveys based on healthy eating can be provided through your campus branded app. Students will be rewarded points if they complete the survey. In addition, your mobile app can also provide a feedback option, and you can award points to students every time they give feedback on a meal
- Eating at Specific Locations
- Have you opened a healthier meal spot for your students on campus? Reward them points every time they choose to eat at that location. This is a great way to increase volume at a less popular location, while always encouraging healthy meal options
As students accumulate points on your mobile app, these points can then be redeemed for prizes in your mobile rewards store. The items you place in your store can further encourage healthy eating as well. Vouchers can be provided for certain dining locations, free meals, or even merchandise from campus stores. Ultimately, The Hangry Loyalty and Rewards feature for mobile dining puts campus dining and auxiliary services in the driver’s seat. By driving student behaviour, the capabilities for encouraging healthy eating are endless.
Want to learn more about our Loyalty and Rewards Feature?